1. Health

Many patients ask me what a "stigmatism" is, but the term is actually "astigmatism." Most people don't know what astigmatism is, although it is the most common vision problem. Astigmatism is usually caused by an irregular-shaped cornea and is easily corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses or surgery.
Comments
May 26, 2007 at 12:28 pm
(1) rookie wicklund says:

Thanks. I figured that out yesterday when I was looking at your site. Isn’t that funny?

January 9, 2009 at 9:45 pm
(2) Carrie says:

I was wondering if having astigmatism would effect the Nystagmus test the Police give during field sobriety tests

February 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm
(3) margaret lee says:

can you have astigmatism in both eyes .

March 28, 2009 at 5:21 am
(4) Lora says:

yes you can have astigmatism in both eyes Margaret, my son has in both eyes aswell as being affected by retinoblastoma.

April 17, 2009 at 6:57 pm
(5) mary shea says:

If you have stigmatism in one eye,should this
be corrected when I have my catarac removed?
Can I do without correcting the stigmatism?

April 30, 2009 at 12:28 pm
(6) lino marasigan says:

how do i improve my vision without eyeglasses, contact lens or other surgery?

May 7, 2009 at 3:55 pm
(7) Garry Wilson says:

If I developed cataracts and have a stigmatism can this be corrected by contacts?

July 18, 2009 at 6:38 pm
(8) Robert Thornton says:

My wife recently got new glasses and contact lenses, having an astigmatism 50.
Within four weeks she could not see out of her left eye and the optician commented that she had gone from 50 to 150 and he had never seen such a rapid decline. Any thoughts

July 19, 2009 at 8:22 am
(9) vision says:

That is a fairly big change to occur in four weeks. However, I would not be too concerned about it yet. It is possible that it could reverse itself. What I would be concerned about as a doctor is what other possible medical eye problems occured around the time her astigmatism increased.

August 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm
(10) pat says:

I recently found out I have astigmatism wich is why I could never read for long periods of time with out a break I went to the doctor and they hooked me up to there michenes and found a good rx for me and now I can’t complain I really love being able to read long periods and just see clearer

August 12, 2009 at 12:25 am
(11) Nadia says:

Does It Make Your Eyes Twitch? Well Not So Much As Twitch But Constant Blinking.

October 2, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(12) p0rk says:

I was corrected by my eye doc yesterday… good to know. I’ve been saying I have “a” stigmatism for years… lol!

October 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm
(13) taylor says:

thankyou i think i might have one does it make things look like they are wiggling though

October 11, 2009 at 7:45 am
(14) realissa lazaro says:

A optomologist check up my eyes then he find out that i have a -0.25 astigmatism in my left eye. what kind of astigmatism is that?!

November 17, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(15) laurie says:

my daughter has just been told she has a stigmatism from gp she is 8 and has had dizzy spells for the last 9 months. She was at optitians 4 months ago and told her eyes were perfect,I dont know who to believe.Any advice please ta

December 12, 2009 at 11:23 am
(16) little says:

I went to a Chinese optical clinic for an eye checkup, and found out that i have also astigmatism. I really cant help but pity for my self. I don’t want to wear an eyeglasses. what should i do or eat to get away from this astigmatism? please advised me….

January 6, 2010 at 12:59 am
(17) Michelle says:

i hav astigmatism. i need really strong lenses to see. =\

January 6, 2010 at 2:59 pm
(18) Eyeglasses says:

I have an astigmatism and I made the mistake of wearing contact lenses without a cylinder and axis- I had a headache for the entire day! Now I stick to my prescription glasses!

January 20, 2010 at 9:55 am
(19) minor_default says:

i have astigmatism, and have for a long time. i had to get glasses. i can read, eat and… well everything better now. people will stop me and ask why i have to wear glasses, i proudly tell them “I have Astigmatism.” they’ve never heard of it, so they learn a little too. might souns wierd, but i love having Astigmatism :D

March 1, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(20) texas girl says:

i have it in one eye

March 6, 2010 at 6:22 am
(21) steve says:

Hi there my 11yr old son has Nastagmas and astigmatism,the doctors have taken his glasses from him about 4yrs ago as they believe he can seee better with out them,is there any kind of operation that caan help his vision improve.

Steve.

April 15, 2010 at 6:14 am
(22) bmxsvrvs says:

e8atnj rhjhakpskulw, [url=http://qvnpberbvwpp.com/]qvnpberbvwpp[/url], [link=http://rkdzotooihbo.com/]rkdzotooihbo[/link], http://amvqvyxlvfaw.com/

January 12, 2011 at 8:27 am
(23) Cassandra says:

Having a stigmatism will this affect me from having 20/20 to 20/30 vission or worst.

February 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(24) Jazmine says:

I have astigmatism in both of my eyes it’s slightly worse in my right eye than my left, I still don’t fully understand what it is.

March 11, 2011 at 3:23 am
(25) mikayla says:

thanks i got a stigmatism and i got stonger lens
THANKS!!!!

April 21, 2011 at 4:40 am
(26) ARNEL POSE says:

i have a teary eyes and feel something achy part on my head.
Is this stigmatism or a symptoms of having a dry eyes?

April 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(27) Zach Kruchkow says:

I have astigmatism in both eyes and Congenital Nystagmus. I wear glasses to fix it and it works pretty well for the astigmatism. I am just glad I am able to drive.

April 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(28) Eva Thomas-Churchwell says:

I just recently found that my 2 yr daughter has astigmatism in both eyes and they couldnt get a good look in her eyes being a 2 yr old so her glasses are pretty thick. the doctor had given her the glasses told me to get into town to have her eyes checked i was wondering how long do i have and what can be done to help her in the mean time.

May 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm
(29) glasses says:

grea post i like it

January 5, 2012 at 2:30 am
(30) eyelid infection says:

Excellent weblog here! Additionally your site loads up very fast! What host are you the use of? Can I get your affiliate link on your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

February 24, 2012 at 8:13 am
(31) Nathaniel says:

Actually, ‘stigmatism’ is a word. It refers to a property in image-forming systems, like the eye or a telescope.

November 9, 2012 at 3:53 am
(32) neil says:

We should know that God is still our healer

September 10, 2013 at 5:20 am
(33) yvonne says:

I was told yesterday at routine eye test that I have astigmatism in both eyes. Had it for years which is weird considering I have had many eye tests over the years and never been told before. But at least I know and answers many questions

November 15, 2013 at 3:15 am
(34) Eyeglasses says:

It may occur in children and adults, Astigmatism is an eye condition with blurred vision as its main symptom.

March 22, 2014 at 3:05 pm
(35) www.barangbranded.com says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets
I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to
your new updates.